1854, South Side Rail Road & Station

The South Side Rail Road (as it was known originally) was chartered in March 1846, two months before the United States declared war on Mexico.  This rail line ran 124 miles west to Lynchburg.  It eventually superseded the Upper Appomattox Canal, which had long provided continuous waterborne freight traffic from Farmville east to Petersburg. >Read More